Third leg of my journey was to the slightly warmer Spanish city known as BARCELONA. It was here I met up with 3 other au pair friends I had made in Geneva. By the time I got to Barcelona I was happy on several levels; 1.) the temperature (while still needing a coat) was much warmer than London where I had come, 2.) prices had become more bearable here than in Paris or London, and finally 3.) I was meeting with friends I knew! I had just spent 7 days not having any friend to share the fun sights with. I was so excited to see friendly faces we could have done just about anything and I would have been happy.
I got in late Thursday and trained in to meet the other gals, after finding a hostel we ended up in a hotel style room that had all our beds and a bathroom in the same private room. This seemed very hotel like for me, since up to this point I was in rooms lined with bunk beds and shared the bathroom with the whole floor. (dorm style) This trip was ending on a great note, and thankfully Barcelona didn’t disappoint.
The Beach was near but we were far from beach bums- too much to see in the large city. Jenna, Mavis, Taryn, and I started out early Friday for our Tour Bus Day. We spent most of the day touring around and seeing all of Barcelona’s sites. My favorite places to see were buildings architected by a man named Gaudi. He lived in the early 20th century and was in a modern class all his own. He used nature as his inspiration, and you can see the uniqueness in his buildings.
La Rambla is one of the main streets in the city that gives a taste of the Barcelona life, with markets, vendors, and street performers. The one market we went to was very large and filled with fresh fruit, vegetables, and meats. The meat was a wide selection- (larger than I’d ever seen) it included everything from chicken, beef, lamb heads, full fish, dead rabbits hanging by their feet, and possible dog (that’s questionable) very unique experience, however the market was fabulous, and it had really great fruit smoothies that were very fresh.
That night we felt pretty proud of ourselves for walking a good distance away from the main tourist areas to a back alley, hole in the wall restaurant. We felt like we were among the locals, even though with our American accents stood out like a sore thumb.
The next day we spent the morning at the Beach before I trained to the airport. At the beach we relaxed and took many a posed pictures that were intended to look natural. Not to mention finding the perfect seashells to pack in our bags for home.
By the time I touched down in Geneva, I was happy to be back, and very satisfied with my traveling stint. I was a bit tired from going non-stop for about 10days, but satisfied with seeing most everything I set out to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment